We can’t say it enough, a successful wellness program can benefit both employees and companies in drastic ways. With reduced healthcare costs for both employee and company, more productivity at work, and less absenteeism, workplace wellness has been shown time and time again to be a smart investment in a time of rising healthcare costs.
Here are 10 more tips for implementing a successful wellness program:
1. Understanding your workforce: Reviewing items such as prior health insurance claims, health assessments, and employee surveys can help you to understand what concerns your employees have with their health.
2. Create a plan: All programs should have some kind of plan in place, start by developing a plan with both short and long term goals, along with a budget and expected outcomes.
3. Include everyone: Make the plan available to all employees and their spouses/domestic partners.
4. Offer biometric screenings: Many employees do not know the current status of their health. Offering screenings during work time or during company health fairs allow more employees to participate in screenings.
5. Select wellness leaders: Set up a wellness committee with wellness leaders to help drive wellness programs. Choose highly respected employees.
6. Communication: Communicate your wellness program as much as possible with things like, company emails, flyers, and in-person meetings. Employees can only participate if they know the details.
7. Offer incentives: Gift cards, reduced premiums, cash bonuses and discounts on various health and wellness based incentives (i.e. gym memberships) will significantly increase employee participation.
8. Provide employees with digital tools: Online, mobile, and tablet updates can help employees keep track of their health and healthcare costs.
9. Track results: Assess your wellness program on an annual basis. Assess both the costs benefits with your healthcare provider as well as evaluating employee participation.
10. Solicit Feedback: Remain flexible and listen to your employees. Your employees are your foundation for a solid wellness plan.
Following these tips can help maximize your employer sponsored wellness program. Thanks to Southern Florida UnitedHealthcare President Nicholas Zaffiris for the tips.
Both the CVS/pharmacy and Whole Foods Market gift cards make perfect incentives for your employee wellness program. Learn more about our corporate gift cards here!